Friday, November 23, 2007

Those who can, do?

Why is it that people (exclusively men in my experience) who run professional training courses are such smug bastards?

I just spent two days at presentation boot camp with some younger colleagues. The first day was all faux drill instructor. He didn't actually call us miserable little scroats, but that was the message. He went too far. I had to intervene a couple of times because I wasn't going to have him repeatedly beating on a bright, sensitive 22 year old about the same one flaw over and over, or referring every five minutes to the state of a fine young man's shoes. He had the same old tired diatribe. Mocking, patronising, picking at everything. You know the type.

He had a lot of knowledge, but he wasted the whole first day being an asshat. He even chaperoned us at lunch and dinner.

the second day was better. And obviously he was telling us all how marvellous we were and how he'd uncovered our hidden talents by the end. Woah - didn't see that coming . .. .

There was an upside, though. I was with a lovely group of smart young people from my team who I don't normally get to hang out with, or at least not spend dedicated teamwork time with. It made me really appreciate them.

1 Comments:

At 3:19 pm, November 23, 2007, Blogger Her Imperial Majesty said...

I love meeting new people
but i don't love meeting new asshats.
they've GOT to GO!

love you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

Technorati Profile