Tuesday, August 05, 2008

you know how sometimes the ties between you and old friends can start to slacken. a job change. a baby. geography. and how, when you do finally see them, its like there was no gap. like you're still 17 or 25 or 30. and all the times they've crossed your mind since the last meeting feel like an unbroken thread of mutual conversation. And the gaps between emails and phone calls and meetings stretch from months to years.

I've been wondering for a while now why I couldn't find a profile for D on facebook. or, previously, on myspace. I reasoned that maybe he would want to at least flaunt his latest boyfriend photos to the world, regardless of the fact that he was a shameless shameless networker. Writing and producing for TV meant a lot of schmoozing. Even in our mid teens I marvelled at his audacity.

Something on the front page of our local newspaper, about media graduates, really made me think of him today. and over coffee this morning i rang him. the phone number was no good. an email bounced back. his website no longer there. i googled him. pages and pages of credits and work references, but all from older shows.

There was a small obituary in his local paper. Dead from cancer within 6 weeks of diagnosis. His mum was quoted as saying how he carried on working on TV ideas, even in the hospice.

It was four years ago.

2 Comments:

At 2:27 am, August 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, how sad!!!!!!!

This makes me want to call everyone I ever knew.

Thursday night, my dear friend Pat is stopping to visit on his way through town. I haven't seen him in 9 years. I will hug him extra hard in memory of your friend D.

 
At 11:39 am, August 06, 2008, Blogger Her Imperial Majesty said...

True friends are always together in spirit I once read.
How trite it reads when someone goes to the spirit world and yet all that they are or were to us is still there, written in the book of memory x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

Technorati Profile