Friday, February 23, 2007

You know it's time to go when
You see a button half hanging off in the lift. And you put it in your coat pocket. And it gives you a kick of triumph. And it's not even your floor number. And you realise you don't even know the people on the second floor. Even though they've the same company and you've been there 11 months.

Working here has diminished me. I acquiesced at being told that I did not need to form relationships with the people I was working with. I shouldn't try to help them, I should just send them templates. That I shouldn't visit any of the hundreds of locations where the people I'm trying to help work. That I shouldn't try to understand their situations, but rather dictate and impose the will of the central office. "We don't go to see the businesses," said the director of communications, my boss, "it's like they're dead to us."

It's good that they're cutting my position, and once the pantomime of putting me "at risk" (for a whole week) while seeking opportunities to "skills match" me to another position within the company has played out, I'll be worrying about my mortgage payments, but hopefully I'll get some of my soul back in exchange.

We're off for the weekend to my in-laws. P is so excited she's packed everything in the house.

Have good weekends, everybody.

6 Comments:

At 2:41 pm, February 23, 2007, Blogger Her Imperial Majesty said...

you should have put yourself in that cute pic so everyone can see that the gorgeousness was inherited from you directly.
Evidently as a fairy godmother, i also through some things into the mix but sadly these won't surface til she hits puberty....
have a fab weekend, looking forward to seeing you in this Dirty Old Town on Tuesday when we will put the world to rights
xx

 
At 3:33 pm, February 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awful company, aside from the mortgage it sounds like you'll be better off. and your girl is a beauty. i'm typing with one hand because mine is sitting on my lap trying to touch the keyboard and pinch me.

 
At 6:51 am, February 24, 2007, Blogger nonlineargirl said...

I am glad you see the good in this - sounds like you will be better off without them!

 
At 7:21 pm, February 24, 2007, Blogger Lisa said...

Oh wow. I've never heard of someone saying that before (with your work.) I guess teamwork isn't something they're all that crazy about.

Your little girl is GEORGOUS!

Have fun.

 
At 12:03 am, February 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack! I'm aching from the cuteness!

And I can totally relate to the soulless drudgery of work. Blech. Sounds like you need a new company to work for.

 
At 5:23 pm, February 27, 2007, Blogger Debbie said...

I heart that photo - I have its twin posted near my work area. I'm a weird-o stalker like that. :)

xoxox

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

Technorati Profile