Thursday, March 15, 2007

timecheck: 1980? 1960?

me: hi, this is dodo. I used to work at X industry body - you called me a couple of times in the past few years about openings you were handling. I was wondering what you had on your books at the moment . . .

Headhunter Lady: oh! Hi Dodo. Sure I remember you. We were wooing you pretty hard there, but you never wanted to budge. what's changed?

Me: I was made redundant as part of A Company's ongoing [and heavily covered in business press] restructure.

Headhunter lady: Well, their loss sure could be our clients gain. just wait til I tell them you're back on the market. What kind of salary are you aiming for?

Me: Around £X, depending on the opportunity and location

Headhunter Lady: £X?? But you've been earning twice that!

Me: Not for the last 2.5 years. I only want to do about 25 hours a week while my daughter is this young. It works pretty effectively, actually.

Headhunter Lady: . . . . . ..

Me: ?

Headhunter Lady: I'm afraid all our clients demand five day presence and seven day commitment.

Me: But my last two employers were clients of yours, and i worked part time for both of them with great results.

Headhunter Lady: I'm sorry, I don't think we'll have anything for you.

11 Comments:

At 11:39 pm, March 15, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

Dammit. It just never changes.

 
At 12:55 pm, March 16, 2007, Blogger Her Imperial Majesty said...

how come buffoons rule the world?

 
At 10:50 pm, March 16, 2007, Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

When the majority of the heads of industry are no longer men then we'll see things change. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen for awhile.

 
At 5:55 pm, March 17, 2007, Blogger Lisa said...

Ughhh. Unfortunately I completely understand... I've been looking for something in my field that's part time for several months...

I hope something opens up (part time) for you soon.

 
At 12:23 am, March 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bastards. Have they never heard of "work-life balance"?

 
At 8:37 pm, March 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF? Seven day commitment? What in hell does that mean? That you'll work for five days but be willing to work every single day of the week with no time off for family or sanity? Yeah...I'd need to be comitted if I agreed to that as well. Tell them to screw off!

 
At 5:14 am, March 20, 2007, Blogger nonlineargirl said...

That is crap. Don't they know they get so much out of part time people, so much more than they know. My job-share partner and I work more than full time between us. Since I only work 40% time, I don't cost them benefits, either.

 
At 2:53 am, March 21, 2007, Blogger Kristin said...

Bet yet, so NOT surprising... they all suck.

 
At 9:08 pm, March 22, 2007, Blogger Cathy said...

Wow.. granted I haven't worked "in office" for years, but I had no idea companies still expected that kind of thing out of their employees. How very archaic of them.

Just based on the professionals I know, very few are willing to commit to the standards that company expected of you.. that would include men as well as women.

More family time seems to be the employees' incentive of choice among my acquaintances.

 
At 1:45 pm, March 23, 2007, Blogger Slackermommy said...

Well that effing sucks! So did you tell her off or not? I would hate to be a headhunter. I hope something comes through soon for you.

 
At 4:46 pm, April 12, 2007, Blogger islandarts said...

was she looking for a monk or a real live human employee???
Wow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

Technorati Profile