Thursday, May 10, 2007

Update, as requested.

So, for as long as I can remember I've had a strange reaction to very processed and/or sugary foods.

You know the pick and mix sections at the cinema? full of fizzy, sour, sugar dusted this, that and the other, brightly coloured translucent cherry sweets and the like ? you know the potent smell? It makes me tired. It makes my vision go blurry. The smell.

And i'm a woman with a sweet tooth.

Store bought cakes and 'kids' cereals (or even adult 'kid' cereals - honey nut cornflakes or whatever) have the same effect. I rarely eat dessert out except in a fancy restaurant. dessert type stuff or cakes I make at home are always made from scratch and have only raw sugar and generally a third of the amount suggested by the recipe.

When I was a student and discovered very cheap sweet cider in little bottle, i used to sort of pass out. I could hear everything going on around me, but I couldn't move or speak or open my eyes. And I wasn't eating very well. For a few years friends became so accustomed to the phenomenon that they would just step over me and carry on talking.

I rarely get a dramatic reaction since I grew up a bit and took better care of myself. I avoid processed foods as far as possible. try to stick to brown rice rather than white. that sort of thing.

A couple of weeks ago I was at the supermarket with P. As we passed the bakery section, a lady with a tray of samples came towards us. One was seedy granary type bread (brown and crumbly) and one was sticky toffee pudding loaf cake (brown and crumbly). I popped the wrong one in my mouth. Even as I swallowed my vision started to blur around the edges. My head began to hurt. I couldn't think. couldn't decide which way to continue down the isle. My speech got slurry. Took about 20 minutes for it to pass and left me feeling exhausted.

On saturday morning I got myself a bowl of shredded wheat. the cereal that prides itself on having only one ingredient - shredded wheat. Except this was the miniature kind with a couple of raisins in the middle of the pillow bit. Two ingredients.

After three pieces I had to stop. and crumple to the floor. and black out. and sleep until the middle of the afternoon.

I've tried to eat very little since then because everything gives me a headache.

Went to the doctor this afternoon. I go back next wednesday for some blood tests. and she's referred me to a neurologist at the hospital. first available appointment is in 64 days.

Tra la la la la.

9 Comments:

At 9:50 pm, May 10, 2007, Blogger Beccy said...

That sounds awful and you have to wait 64 days. I hope you manage to find something you can eat soon.

 
At 8:24 am, May 11, 2007, Blogger Her Imperial Majesty said...

i reckon if you bung the hospital 100 quid, you can see one more the fasterer. or perhaps that only works in the Shire.
love love love you and will not feed you any hidden sugars next week (now that i make my own pastry and stuff)
xx

 
At 10:13 am, May 11, 2007, Blogger Her Imperial Majesty said...

incidentally, the children's prog Big Cook Little Cook terrifies me.
Give me Lazy Town's lycra clad Icelander any day

 
At 2:51 am, May 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That doesn't sound good. Hope they can sort it out. I have a hard time with sweets, sugar and flour, but I get really bloated, looks like I'm pregnant. Doesn't stop me though, just have to wear looser pants:)

 
At 10:25 pm, May 12, 2007, Blogger Mel said...

WOW. I hope they get that figured out on tbe first try, if the wait is 64 freaking days! Yipes.

 
At 2:42 am, May 13, 2007, Blogger nonlineargirl said...

What a bizare food sensitivity. One that makes me scared - I am such a sugar addict, the idea of not being able to have it make me a bit woozy.

 
At 1:11 pm, May 14, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds kind of like you're hyperglycemic. Poor thing. At least you know it's probably nothing serious if they've put you off for 64 days, right?

 
At 4:08 pm, May 14, 2007, Blogger dodo said...

it's a sad reflection of the health system that 64 days was in fact the first available appointment.

I was once told I needed an emergency neuro appointment - which also had a wait time of six weeks.

the scanned my brain five years ago and found nothing untoward.

 
At 3:41 am, May 15, 2007, Blogger Lisa said...

OH my gosh. I hope you can find a good doctor way before 64 days.

Will be thinking of you lots. And checking back. PLEASE keep us updated, k?

(P.S. Where are you in England? I have been begging alot lately for the hubby to go on a little vaca to England. Am dying to see Jane Austen stuff and meet YOU if possible. Nothing is planned yet. He hasn't said yes. But he hasn't said no either.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

Technorati Profile