Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wear your appreciation on your sleeve!

Hmmmm. New keyboards. Love the non sticky keystrokes, the delicate pitter patter of far away rain on canvass and the opportunity to accumulate my own collection of crumbs and viral infestations instead of inheriting the scum of yesteryear.

I may even have indiscretely applauded as the IT guy strode purposefully toward my triangulation of desks. Fearless, unashamed in the perplexed stares of the oh so serious grads that surround me.

They’re always so earnest, these ambitious young things. I feel it’s my responsibility to give them permission to be ridiculous. And to encourage them to appreciate the little details of life – like a cheap HP keyboard, or a new box of easygrip pens in the stationery cupboard.

They have jumped through such competitive hoops to get here. A prestigious brand with precious few placements. That I'm sure the pressure of performing somehow squishes out of them the qualities that first distinguished them to the selection panel.

When I gleefully announced that henceforward today I would write monumentally interesting things for our clients, only one of them joined in the spirit of the thing. A bit sad really. But then I wonder if I was the same at that age, plunged in among very senior people at a highly respected international news brand, almost not believing I was there. After 17 years, perhaps I have somehow earned the right to not take myself too seriously.

What. Ever.

What little things, things that may go unnoticed by those around you. make you get your giddy on?

4 Comments:

At 2:05 pm, May 15, 2007, Blogger Her Imperial Majesty said...

i have just been buyin profolatics in Boots the Chemist and the cheeky boy on the check out gave me the once over and went 'have fun with those', as he handed me the BAG!
i will probably be blushin from now until i am unwrapping said items later
but i feel giddy. i surely do

 
At 2:44 pm, May 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's something very right about Soliden being enjoyed in central London--- so glad it's a view that supports you through your day.

Bisous, bluepoppy

 
At 3:14 pm, May 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your giddy.

gawd but i loves you, sweet thing.

 
At 3:15 pm, May 15, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also,

*whe-ew*

*fans self after reading herimperial's comment*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

BloggerNetwork.org

Technorati Profile